Dissenting Opinion (TS: December 14, 8pm)

Home Forums IG: Tempest Grove Dissenting Opinion (TS: December 14, 8pm)

This topic contains 42 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Kelsey Ogilvie (Briar Eberhart) Briar Eberhart 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Mrnotaboy
    mrnotaboy
    Participant

Nils wanted to scream. He wanted to yell and curse about how the drunk had called the necromancers her friends, how she led them to his village and stole and gleefully bragged about it all. But he didn’t. He just bit his lip, hard enough to break the skin and sting, and muttered “You’re wrong,” so quietly it could barely be heard.

He wouldn’t give Briar the satisfaction of losing his temper. He wouldn’t. He felt like he was vibrating, but he was determined not to do more than dig his nails into the palms of his hands.

Main NPC: Yvania
    Other NPCs: Faolan, Ludovico, Nils

Bergelmir
    Bergelmir
    Participant

“The fee is small. Our guild is interested in serious applicants only. You can come up with three silver if you try.”

It is a tentative gesture, and fitting of the often awkward Einher, but he raises his hand to place the very briefest and gentlest hand on Nils’ shoulder. It’s gone just as fast.
    “The truth is that the undead that destroyed Nils’ village were commanded to do that very thing. They might just as easily have been commanded to build a hospital. But they weren’t, because their creators were depraved madmen and fanatics. We should be more fearful of such ideas, than which tool they choose to use in carrying them out.”

“Now is not the time to cast judgment on each other.”

It's just a passing phase, said the fox - he was being skinned.

Kelsey Ogilvie (Briar Eberhart)
    Briar Eberhart
    Participant

“Oh, serious applicants?” Briar laughs quietly again. “May I ask what serious business the guild is working on? I don’t want to get in over my head. But, if you want is people interested in magic… well, as you can see, I am highly interested.”

“I imagine the illegality of necromancy makes it particularly enticing to madmen.” she turns her eyes to Nils, looking over the trembling wild elf. “… are you young? I find it difficult to tell with elves.” Letting out a sigh, she continues. “I do not wish to make Cypress an enemy of Tempest Grove. Some among our ranks specialize in hunting undead. The next time we travel to the Grove…” Briar crosses her arms. “… seek us out. If you believe those necromancers had accomplices, they must be stopped. Many of us are new to travel, but we have our greatest strengths in numbers and dedication. Speaking for myself, if we find those necromancers, I will kill them or die trying.”

“And… because I am still not convinced that your family are forever destroyed… I will keep my eyes out for wild elf spirits in my travels.”

“If you won’t believe my arguments, I will just have to show you myself that necromancy advocates can be decent people.” Briar offers a hand towards Nils. “I am on a mission to teach the truth of necromancy. That isn’t going to happen if I burn bridges.”

Character: Briar Eberhart

Please contact me on Facebook if you need me!

Mrnotaboy
    mrnotaboy
    Participant

“I’m old enough,” Nils ground out reluctantly. “Older than you in anycase, I assume.”

Nils couldn’t tell if his shaking was from his anger or if it was from the images of maggot infested eyes that were dancing on the edges of his mind, but his hand still tremoured when he hesitantly he held it out to shake. There were tiny, crescent shaped bruises where his short nails had dug in.

“I hope the truth of necromancy finds you more gently than it did me, then.” Petty? Yes, definitely. “You might burn less bridges if you used less words like ‘hypocrite’ and ‘fool’, though.”

Briar Eberhart
    Participant

“My first encounter with you had left a sour taste in my mouth. It appears that these people see something in you, though-” says Briar, looking between Gyda and Bergelmir. “-and you had made the right decision regarding the fates of the non-necromancer that time at the Grove. So, I suppose I should give you another chance.”

“Part of my anger came from being blindsided when we first arrived at Tempest Grove.” From one of her pouches, Briar fetches out a deck of tarot cards and begins to shuffle them. “I had expected to arrive in a land where Necromancy was allowed by permit, and where I could learn under a necromancer. Instead, I we found ourselves surrounded by Dark god worshippers who will be the first to split the heads of children, yet call us the monsters for approving of the use of necromancy. So… I suppose I should apologize for painting you all with the same brush, as it were. Though, I do wish you would not all assume us as evil, diabolical creatures for our beliefs.”

Mrnotaboy
    mrnotaboy
    Participant

Nils bristled, his wild elf nature once again getting the best of him.

“For the last time, I don’t. I told you, all Necromancy is wrong, but I don’t feel all Necromancers are malicious when they hurt people. Naive, yeah–” He catches himself and bites at his lower lip again. Keep your composure. Nils still wasn’t sure if Briar was trying to rile him up, or just oblivious. He tastes copper.

He takes a deep breath and tries again.

“Look, just… take your own advice. You’ll get a lot farther in your goal if you stop assuming the intentions of the people who disagree with you, okay?”

Nils looks to the side then, something warm creeping down his chin. He doesn’t bother to wipe it away.

“Despite what you think of me, I don’t like killing. I’ve never killed anything bigger than a wolf. And they weren’t non-necromancers,” He looks up at her. “but no one deserves to burn.”

Briar Eberhart
    Participant

Briar blinks a few times as she watches blood run down Nil’s face. “I seem to have been misunderstood. I meant “you” as “you all”. The denizens of Tempest Grove, not just yourself.”

She places the shuffled cards in front of her. “Would you like a reading?”

Straxx
    Straxx
    Participant

A lone figure emerges from the shadows. His smell identified him before your eyes do. The smell of warm manure and stale ale.

“I’ll take a reading, I have been quite intrigued these days about mystics.” Straxx says as he steps toward Briar.

“My name is Straxx… if that is needed for your reading?”

Briar Eberhart
    Participant

Briar’s shift towards Straxx as she continues to shuffle. “I don’t believe we have met. I am Briar of Cypress. It doesn’t not surprise me that you have taken interest, as I have heard the Orb of Mysticism has made it known around here.”

From her belt, Briar pulls her Nature focus and a couple of bones, some of which look suspiciously humanoid. She places the objects on the table, and the deck in the middle of them. “I usually do two basic readings. Either, you can ask the deck a question, or I can try to see your current state in the three realms, the physical, the mental, and the spiritual. Which would you prefer?”

“Either way, I will need you to split the deck. You should focus yourself and think of all the facets of your question. I find the spirits provide better responses if you focus on what you can do yourself to achieve your goals, rather than simply if something will happen or not.”

Straxx
    Straxx
    Participant

Straxx looks at the deck and thinks for a moment of the two choices.

Straxx pipes up in slight chuckle as he answers “I think I am pretty aware of my current state… I’ll ask a question”

*Closing his eyes and silencing his breath, Straxx puts his hand on his side pounch and takes a moment before speaking again.*

“Is there anyone who seeks me?”

Briar Eberhart
    Participant

Allowing Straxx to cut the deck, she flips over the card.

“Reversed Ace of Pentacles.” Briar says, gazing over the card. “While the Ace of Pentacles symbolizes opportunity, especially in the financial sense, the reverse tells of the opposite.”

“Reversed Ace of Pentacles fortells an impediment of plans, and an inability to accomplish goals. It can also indicate corruption and greed.”

“The deck does not excel at yes or no questions, so I will do my best to interpret. If there is one who seeks you, their absence could be the result of many obstructions which stops them from reaching you. However… you should be careful if they are to reach you. If they fell to corruption on their journey, they may be finding you to take advantage of you. Failure causes people to grow calloused and jaded, so after many failed attempts to accomplish their goals, they may resort to exploiting others to get what they want.”

Straxx
    Straxx
    Participant

“A little on the vague side there Briar” Straxx says with a slight chuckle that fades off into a groan of realization… or question.

*Straxx looks at the Ace of Pentacles, then the deck, then to Briar

“So how do the cards work? Do the answers come from dead folk or what?” “I mean, if I had an issue with the message, should I take it out on you or what?”

*putting his hand on his head and rubbing it in a scratching motion, Straxx asks Briar one more question

“Now a question for you instead of the cards. I assume you are a mystic, and you talk to the dead, can you talk to the dead which have been raised my necromancy?”

Briar Eberhart
    Participant

“The future isn’t set in stone, so it’s impossible to come up with exacts. All I can do is ask for what is likely to happen and to act accordingly.”

“The cards are a medium to request answers from another power. Some people use them to contact spirits, such as myself. I’ve seen people who have success contacting nature, the gods, or another higher power they feel connected to.”

“I am a Mystic, yes.” Briar says as she shuffles the Ace of Pentacles back into the deck. “The ability to see spirits runs through my family. We were all born with the ability to. However, it takes years of practice to open yourself up to the Deadlands enough where you can speak with them. As my mentors… my parents, have passed, I have been stunted somewhat in my learning. I aspire to one day be able to speak to the spirits and ask them their opinions of Necromancy, though. Alsy has told me that many spirits grow agitated, but I wonder if that’s from the magic itself or from the spirit’s bias against necromancy.”

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.